- 1 Best Tactical Smartwatch 2018 Comprehensive Reviews
- 1.1 Comparison Table
- 1.2 Best Tactical Smartwatch Reviews 2018
- 1.3 1. Suunto Core Military
- 1.4 What to Look For When Choosing Best Tactical Smartwatch
Best Tactical Smartwatch 2018 Comprehensive Reviews
In this article, we will look at the best tactical smartwatch that one can buy. Watches have almost always been a status symbol, especially for men. The selection process seems to be endless what with the new trends in watch functionality wherein there are so many features incorporated into just one watch. So how do you choose? Which features apply to you?
If you’re going to spend on a watch then might as well get the bang for your buck and go all out military style. Best military tactical watches by far exceed all others when it comes to a blend of functionality, style, and integrated features. But again, there are so many military watches on the market to choose from.
See the main differences between the top watches in one place.
Best Tactical Smartwatch Reviews 2018
If you’re just beginning to see the trend in functions that best military watches have, then the Suunto Core military watch has those too with a waterproof capability of up to 30 meters, a compass, altimeter, and barometer, and being shockproof But other unique functions to this watch include a sensor that can read not just your temperature but one that also acts as a weather indicator and even has an alarm that goes off as a storm warning.
Read our full review of the Suunto Core watch by clicking here. Unlike other military watches which can more often than not be quite stocky, the Suunto Core military watch has a design so sleek and smooth you almost wouldn’t be able to tell that it had all those features. The Suunto Core military watch also has a battery that is known to last a whole year on average without having to be changed.
The military is selective when it comes to the watches allowed in the field, understandably so as no one would want a comrade next to them with a bright race car red watch, would they? So why the G-Shock G100-1BV? It adheres to the military’s KISS (keep it simple, stupid) guidelines where the simplest watch functionality is preferred. This watch is also shockproof and can withstand being banged around, it is waterproof up to a depth of 200 meters which could come in handy for servicemen in a submarine or for just about anyone when going on a dive. It is resistant to magnets and has a pre-set calendar that goes up until 2039 which is a feature that seems simple but is actually really good considering that Casio is known to have difficult-to-follow instructions. It also has dual time display, an alarm that goes off every day, a stopwatch that goes up to 100 seconds, and a dim backlight which works so you can sue your watch at night but subtle enough so you don’t get noticed because of the brightness of your watch.
Seeing as Casio is the military’s top choice, the G-Shock Rangeman makes our list too because of the additional features it has to offer that could come in handy during various activities such as the altimeter and barometer which is awesome if you’re into anything that involves heights like mountaineering, skydiving, and maybe even for flying lessons. The G-Shock Rangeman also has a sensor that is responsible for the accuracy of the compass and thermometer which can detect your own core body temperature. It has a super illuminator which is why you probably wouldn’t be able to sue it if you were actually in the military. This would give out anyone’s position at night if you ever accidentally push the button. Like the G-Shock G100-1BV, the G-Shock Rangeman is also shockproof and can withstand depths of up to 200 meters. But unlike the G-Shock G100-1BV, the G-Shock Rangeman comes in an awesome camouflage design.
When you first see this watch, one word might come to mind – heavy. Just its outer aesthetic, even before we delve into its features, is covered in metal and can be quite heavy. But besides that, with weight, comes the assurance of durability. Just looking at this watch you wouldn’t even need to be told that it is shockproof, the INFANTRY Big Face Mens Military Watch is sure to last not just the tests of time but also through whatever it may be that you want to put it through; versatility needs to go with everything these days whether you are just having a normal day at work or whether you are rock climbing, trekking, or white water rafting and this watch definitely does that and more for you; this watch comes with a 2 year warranty on Amazon just to seal the deal on its strength.
The INFANTRY Big Face Mens Military Watch has a case that is 17 millimeters thick surrounded by a band that is 26 millimeters thick and 180-240 millimeters in length completely enclosing the casing. This watch is also waterproof up to depths of up to 30 meters and comes with a stopwatch, date and day display, alarm, and is backlit for easy use in darkness.
So here we go again with another Casio watch. We weren’t kidding when we said that the Casio brand is the top choice for tactical military watches. Casio is just popular when it comes to actual servicemen and anyone in general too. This brand just seems to have the right mix of durability, functionality, and price all mixed in one. The Casio Protrek, in particular, gets into our top choices because it by far has the MOST features to it.
This watch is solar powered and can last a maximum of 7 months on average when fully charged even if it isn’t exposed to any light, it has a battery indicator so you aren’t left guessing what level your battery is at as well as a power saving option just in case you aren’t yet ready to recharge. It also has a pre-set calendar programmed all the way until 2099 so it’ll probably outlive you, it is water resistant to depths of up to 100 meters and is durable with a case surrounded in 46 millimeters of stainless steel with a mineral dial window and a resin band. This watch has a setting for 5 alarms that go off daily including a timer for the sunrise and sunset, a stopwatch, and a countdown timer.
The Casio Pathfinder offers all the classic features of a best military smartwatch and a few extras which include sensors for an altimeter that can record memory, and a thermometer that can measure your core temperature. This watch can also withstand low temperatures up to -10 degrees Celsius (14 degrees Fahrenheit), it has 5 alarms that go off daily, a stopwatch up to 100 seconds.
The Casio Pathfinder also has a calendar pre-set up until 2099 to this watch will outlive you too (probably) as well as a case sealed in 51 millimeters of stainless steel with a mineral dial window, quartz movement digital display, and a resin band. The Casio Pathfinder is solar powered and can last up to 6 months on a full charge with battery indicators telling you what your levels are like and a power saving option for when your battery is low. It also has a backlight that comes in handy so you can still use your watch and its functions in the dark.
What makes this watch unique is that it offers world time from 31 time zones and up to 48 cities which can be displayed in your choice of 12 hours or 24 hour formats.
Personally, this watch is cool because of how it looks. Unlike the other military tactical watches which are mostly plain black or silver, this watch provides subtlety with just a hint of fun. It is black with small bits of green, orange, yellow and blue, and frankly, it sort of looks like a tiny transformer. I would buy this watch just for the look of it, all the functions and specs would just be an awesome bonus.
What to Look For When Choosing Best Tactical Smartwatch
With such a wide range of choices out there, if you are really decided that the best tactical smartwatch is for you then you’d need help deciding exactly which one. Let us help you make the selection process just a little bit easier.
Is there anything rougher than being in the military? We think not. And with this comes the necessary and appropriate gear which, ideally, should be robust enough to survive whatever it is you are going to put it through. Besides the most basic functionality of a watch which is timekeeping, a military or best tactical watch offers features that could be used in the field and even just for everyday outdoor activities.
So, what features should the best military watch have? What needs to be considered? Read our list below and see if your choice makes the cut.
- Durability – understandably enough, the first and most important feature of the best military watch must be its durability. A shockproof watch would be able to withstand harsh environments and being banged around and it only makes sense too; after all, what good is a watch with tons of features if it isn’t durable and beaks after a day?
- Battery – for best military watches, solar powered watches are preferred in order to remove the hassle of having to change a battery. One thing to consider though when choosing a solar powered watch is that it has a battery indicator as solar-powered watches do not last as long in terms of battery life as lithium battery-powered watches to and you wouldn’t want your watch stopping or slowing down without warning.
- Design – most military watches have specially designed bevels and specs for the specific purpose of them not catching on any clothes. A watch that snags your sleeve can really be a distraction and you shouldn’t have to adjust the way you dress or move just because of this.
- Casing – for the extra assurance of durability, a military watch would have a band around its case made of steel or titanium. Also, pay attention to the thickness of the case itself as well as the band.
- Waterproof – most (but not all) military watches are waterproof for depths of at least 100 meters. This may not seem like an all-important feature but it is. When doing outdoor activities such as camping or hiking there is always an unknown element of unpredictability and you wouldn’t want to compromise your activity by having to worry about running your watch if it rains, or if it gets splashed by a little water.
- Time format – we all know the military uses the 24-hour format, but for your own convenience, shifting or dual time formats would be a plus in time telling ease.
- Altimeter – an altimeter can measure depth and height with would come in handy if the watch you choose is only water resistant to certain depths. An altimeter would also be useful for people whose hobbies include, rock climbing, mountaineering, or hiking to certain heights. Usually, when there is an altimeter, there is also a barometer (to measure atmospheric pressure) but this isn’t really necessary unless you are a pilot or anything like that.
- Backlight – a backlight is also important as you will need to use your watches functionality in the dark sometimes. Consider how bright your backlight may be though as a light that is too bright may defeat the purpose of camouflage if that is what you are trying to achieve.
- Other functions – everything mentioned above could be considered as the essentials of what a military or best tactical watch should feature but besides this, there are also additional functionalities that a watch can have such as sensors for temperature, timer, stopwatches, alarms, time zone shifting, calendars, or compasses. Basically, any additional feature would be a plus as long as the watch you choose has the basics of what the best military smartwatch should be.
The best military smartwatches vary in terms of the price range, but if you’re going to put out money for the best military watch anyway then might as well go all out and get yourself not only a good price but a watch that will last through time and circumstance. If you want some more watches to look at, read about our favorite g shock watches. Know what you need, and know what you want, and get the perfect fit that suits YOU.